A fantastic way to treat your body, mind and soul, discover everything you need to know about holistic massage…
What is it?
Holistic massage is a type of massage therapy that not only focuses on your body, it also takes into account your emotional and spiritual wellbeing. Holistic massage aims to restore balance within the body and help you experience relaxation on a far deeper level. Each massage is tailored to the individual and can be different in every session dependent on your needs at that time (arrange your free consultation with Alexander now).
Before embarking on a holistic massage, you will be required to have a consultation with the massage therapist where they will enquire about your health, lifestyle and medical history, and then agree on a treatment plan with you.
At the beginning of each session, you’ll be asked how you are and what you’re hoping to achieve from this particular session. The massage is often performed all over the body however if there is a particular area you wish to focus on you can discuss this with the therapist who will tailor the session.
Holistic massage is based around Swedish massage which uses a combination of petrissage (specific kneading strokes) effleurage (smoothing and gliding strokes) and percussion (rapid tapping, slapping and cupping). However, holistic massage has no set routine as every individual has different requirements so often other techniques will come into play such as deep tissue manipulation, stretches, Thai massage, breathwork and even creative visualisations.
After a session, a holistic massage therapist may advise you on other ways to restore your body’s natural balance such as nutritional and environmental changes, stretches you can perform at home or tips for improving and maintaining the treatment you’ve been given.
Who does it suit?
Holistic massage is suitable for everyone due to its tailored and all encompassing approach. A valuable tool for treatment and prevention of physical ailments, holistic massage is also ideal for those wanting to reach optimal health and wellbeing.
This type of massage therapy can be particularly beneficial for those dealing with emotional issues such as grief and depression.
How to get the most out of your session
- Drink lots of water after your massage. This will help flush out toxins and also rehydrate your muscles.
- Don’t eat too heavy a meal just before your session as massage stimulates your digestion. Eat either a light snack or a meal a few hours before. If you starve yourself you may feel dizzy or light-headed during the massage. Avoid alcohol beforehand too!
- If your therapist gives you stretching exercises to do at home, perform them! Not only will they help lessen aches and pains you may feel after the massage but they can also extend the benefits of your session.
- Remember to breathe throughout your session! This will help you reach a deeper state of relaxation and help the flow of oxygenated blood in your body.
- Communicate with your massage therapist! If you want them to focus on a particular area during the session let them know – holistic massage is catered specifically to suit your needs and can be different each time.
- Ensure you relax after each session and go to bed early – this will help you gain the maximum benefits from the session.